A solution to “Word cannot register your account” for Word blogging

When trying to register my wife’s WordPress blog with Word so she could blog directly from Word, we kept getting the message Word cannot register your account. I got this message periodically when I registered my own blogs, but it eventually worked. So, kept it up. No joy.
After failing for several days, I finally decided to see if something more was known about the problem to try to see if it was a “you gotta live with it issue. Eventually, I found the answer! As it turns out, it’s a setting in WordPress’ Dashboard. I don’t recall seeing this setting a few years ago when I registered my blogs, so it might be something new they added to make things less hit-or-miss. In any case, it worked! Here’s the fix.
  1. At the bottom of the left column, under Dashboard, click onSettings. This will expand the list of settings sections.
  2. Click Writing.
  3. Under Remote Publishing, enable XML-RPC. If you think you’ll ever use Atom, then enable it, too, just for the heck of it.
At the bottom of the Dashboard window, click Save Changes. AndBob’s your uncle!

9 Responses to “A solution to “Word cannot register your account” for Word blogging”

  1. guru says:
    HI,,
    Under Writing Im not able see remote publishing.. there is no any option to XML RPC.. what to do>?
  2. herbt3 says:
    What version of WordPress are you using? I’m using WordPress 3.0, and the Remote Publishing was present at least as far back as version 2.9.2. If you don’t see it, then it’s possible that it’s not enabled in your particular version, or that whoever implemented it removed remote publishing, which would be a shame.
  3. ricky says:
    I am using wordpress.com. I am not able to register through office 2010. It show “word cannot register your account”. There is no such option in wordpress.com blog settings.
  4. herbt3 says:
    If you don’t see the setting, then XML publishing via Word should already automatically enabled. I just created a wordpress.com test blog, and was able to register it using Word. Make sure that under Blog Post URL, it says:
    where xxxxxxxxx would be the name of your blog. After supplying your user name & password, registration should be successful.
  5. Mahesh says:
    I have been getting error in Word 2007, finally found the solution on your site. Thanks :)
  6. Was having major problems – but this worked for me!!!
    Thanks for all the help!
    If you don’t see the setting, then XML publishing via Word should already automatically enabled. I just created a wordpress.com test blog, and was able to register it using Word. Make sure that under Blog Post URL, it says:
    where xxxxxxxxx would be the name of your blog. After supplying your user name & password, registration should be successful.
  7. kristi says:
    Yeah It’s not working for me and there is not an option for it ether under writing. I even tried the blogger site and I can’t get word to work with that ether. Total shame!
  8. TecnoSmurf says:
    Thx a LOT! This problem drove me crazy over the passed weeks. Very helpful.
  9. Naurene says:
    thank you – you also have to make sure you save it as docx and then take out the old title and replace it.

Leave a Reply